Welcome Message

Cochlear Implants, hearing loss and more! I carry an interesting perspective: someone who had normal hearing growing up, lost it all slowly as an adult, then regained it with cochlear implants. So I'm deaf, but I can hear - a true miracle. If you'd like to know more about me and my bilateral cochlear implant experiences right away, my two books have a wealth of information - see the links below. Check out the list of upcoming events too - perhaps one day we'll get to meet!



VISIT MY WEBSITE - CLICK HERE: WWW.LISTENINGCLOSELY.COM

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Turning To My Name: GRANDMA

What an experience I had this past weekend - visiting with my daughter and her family.  Being able to interact with grandchildren is the next and best reason to be able to hear - especially bilaterally!

My grandson, age 2, is starting to gain a command of language, and explore the power of speech.  We were sitting at the dining table, his high chair next to my chair. As we were eating, I heard him call "GRANDMA!" So of course, with bilateral CI's, I "turned to my name" - my NEW NAME - GRANDMA!  Well, he was delighted that this powerful command worked so well - GRANDMA turns around instantly when I call her!

And so, he tried it again. "GRANDMA!" And, of course, I turned around again - realizing we were now engaged in a variation of "peekaboo" - something we were already expert at. And so it went, a dozen more times "GRANDMA" - and I responded with silly faces, and peekaboo motions.  We were having a ball!

And, of course, my daughter was looking on, knowing all too well, that this innocent little game was a miracle, the miracle of bilateral cochlear implants.  When she was growing up, her mommy didn't always turn around, and later when she was a teenager, never would turn around when called.

Celebrate this miracle - pure joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment