Welcome Message

Cochlear Implants, hearing loss and more! I carry an interesting perspective: someone who had normal hearing growing up, lost it all slowly as an adult, then regained it with cochlear implants. So I'm deaf, but I can hear - a true miracle. If you'd like to know more about me and my bilateral cochlear implant experiences right away, my two books have a wealth of information - see the links below. Check out the list of upcoming events too - perhaps one day we'll get to meet!



VISIT MY WEBSITE - CLICK HERE: WWW.LISTENINGCLOSELY.COM

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Bilateral Cochlear Implant presentation with Clickable Transcripts (captioned in English and Spanish)

If you've been to my website at http://www.listeningclosely.com/ then you may have seen the video links available there.  One of the videos is a presentation I gave on bilateral cochlear implants to the staff at Advanced Bionics, the maker of my cochlear implants, at their Connect to Patients program three years ago.  I was still writing my second book, Listening Closely, at that time, and had only been bilateral for a few months, so it's interesting to see my behavior in the process of adapting to bilateral hearing. 

When I embedded the video on my website, I made sure that it had accurate captioning - and  the Captioning Studio (based in Australia) did a great job. Then it was suggested to provide the captions in Spanish as well, so thanks to Galindo Publicidad, Inc , the video is also captioned in Spanish.  The video can be viewed on the http://www.listeningclosely.com/ website, or click on the screen there to view the Video on YouTube.

But then, the Captioning Studio suggested trying their new innovation called Clickable Transcripts - and that's where the fun begins.  When viewing the video on my website (not clicking through to view it on YouTube), you'll see the entire transcript to the right of the video screen.  Click here to go to the Presentation video with the Clickable Transcripts

You can select the English or Spanish transcript. When you point your cursor to a sentence in the transcript, the video will automatically advance to that part of the video.  That allows you to browse the transcript and go to the portion of the video you want to view. 

There's also the option of putting English or Spanish subtitles below the video. That allows subtitles to be put onto videos that don't have captions. 

Now that I've given you the instructions, it's time for you to go and play! 
 Click here to go to the Presentation video with the Clickable Transcripts

And while you're playing, you'll get a great preview and behind-the-scenes look at my book, Listening Closely: A Journey to Bilateral Hearing 

It's rare to get caught on video in the middle of writing a book - but here it is, with captions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment